The aim of network is to strengthen interdisciplinary high-quality research and further develop an on-going research effort supported by a seed money grant from NordForsk in the field of Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL). The Learning Ecosystems and Activities of the Future (LEAF) is a research initiative that brings together eight research groups from four Nordic countries (Sweden Finland, Norway and Denmark). These groups encompass an area of scientific research related to the interdisciplinary field of Technology Enhanced Learning with special emphasis on mobile technologies and the fields of Learning sciences and Human computer interaction. These fields focus strongly on both rethinking pedagogic curricula from the opportunities that mobile technologies bring up to education and, redesigning mobile technologies taking account of specific learning and social goals defined in educational curricula.
The overall aims of the LEAF initiative are to establish a solid scientific ground in order to consolidate research and training efforts in the field of TEL through the creation of a Nordic research network of senior scientists, young researchers and PhD students. In particular, Ph D students in the Nordic countries find it difficult to get supervision covering different areas of expertise in the complex landscape of studying and developing mobile devices for learning
The objective of LEAF is thus to develop and implement a common Nordic strategy for supporting new initiatives that can promote synergy in research, research training and development in the field of TEL across the Nordic countries. The expected outcomes of these efforts will result in practical initiatives to support a wide range of TEL related activities of high international quality.
The network is aiming at reaching the following targets:
- to support research training through the joint organization of scientific seminars and workshops for PhD students and young researchers. More specifically:
- create a network of PhD students investigating TEL related research issues
- promote the mobility of post docs
- support an infrastructure for the training of the PhD supervision – to contribute to the development of high-standard research, informed by already present scientific knowledge and expertise at different already connected research groups
- to establish a high-profile Nordic research in the field of TEL (especially in the area of mobile learning) by co-ordinating the work of local projects and adding synergy to already established contacts;
- to conduct high qualitative research training in the Nordic region aiming at positioning Scandinavia as one of the leading research regions in the world in the field of Technology enhanced learning.
- to make the Nordic region a potentially leading area in the field of Technology enhanced learning able to compete with other European and U.S centers.
- to develop international communication and dialogue with European, Asian and American partners; to further the knowledge and understanding of future school development and future learning models in Nordic countries
Our collaboration will enable to develop a vision about how the current and future efforts in the field of TEL in Nordic Countries could evolve and develop in a way that they will become internationally competitive, thus resulting in creating the conditions for a better as well as equal educational system for our coming generations. It is expected that this collaboration will promote the mobility of 35 PhD candidates, who are members of the different eight research groups, in order to attend and actively participate in a series of interdisciplinary scientific seminars, workshops and courses.